Monday, November 24, 2008
The box is opened to reveal a lovely note and some very nice stitch markers and
And here's the haul
What an amazing spoiler! Peaches and cream in a sunny fun color, and the Opal sock in Dumbledore (squee!) that I'd been wanting. A handsewn bag (love the colors!) and a GORGEOUS crocheted bag. Tasty snacks include yogurt covered gummi bears and peppermint bark (love it), some personalized bookplates, and a long Addi lace for making two at a time socks/magic loop. And patterns, including Elphine which I'd been wanting to do, and toe up cast on and knitting two at a time sock info. And the Magic Mirror socks! I'd not seen that patt before but it looks like fun. And those beads - I'm looking forward to what those will become.
Thanks so much Andi!! You're the best. I've sent your Owl back to Portland.
Tuesday, November 18, 2008
Interested in trying again? A rematch? Hermione's cable and bobble hat.
Are you "man" enough to bring it? Are you, Rufus?
My FO, headed your way. And there might be a slight enhancement to the mitts, but you'll have to wait and see, won't you?
And leave Tia alone. She doesn't deserve you.
Friday, November 14, 2008
1. Who was Tom Riddle Sr.'s girlfriend before Merope gave him the love potion?
b. Cecilia (a muggle)
2. What does Luna say floated into Harry's ear when he was in the train car that supposedly caused him to lose focus?
c. A creature called a Wrackspurt
3. How much do the primary Apparition lessons cost?
d. 12 galleons
4. What is Professor Merrythought's first name?
5. What Hogwarts club was Eileen Prince captain of?
b. Gobstones Club
6. Who is head of the Goblin Liaison office?
b. Dirk Cresswell
7. Mrs. Weasley offers Fleur a goblin-made tiara for the wedding with Bill. What family member is currently in possession of the tiara?
a. Aunt Muriel
8. How many points does Snape take from Gryffindor for Harry's late arrival and muggle attire?
9. When Profressory Slughorn first meets Hermione, he asks her whether she is related to Hector Dagworth-Granger. What society did Dagworth-Granger found?
d. The Most Extraordinary Society of Potioneers
10. Which of these describes Golpalott's Third Law?
d. The antidote for a blended poison will be equal to more than the sum of the antidotes for each of the separate components.
Thursday, November 6, 2008
I have a list and budget. Let's hope I can stick to them.
Friday, October 31, 2008
1. Name your favorite magical creature, and describe why it is your favorite.
My favorite magical creature is the hippogriff, because I once got to take care of Buckbeak's son, Broadwings. He has lovely greenish-yellow eyes.
2. Tell us your favorite charm, spell or curse, and explain why you like it.
Favorite charm? Locomotor - it's helpful in moving big things around. Well I do like jinxes, too, if someone has (ahem) really crossed the line. But honestly, that wasn't mine that made that toilet explode when Rufus was using it. Or the langlock when he attempted to speak with Tia.
3. Describe your favorite holiday family tradition - which holiday and what makes it special.
Funny hats for Thanksgiving. Everyone wears one during dinner.
4. Name your favorite fiber-based (knitted, crocheted, or spun) finished object.
My first sweater (a hoodie). Loaded with mistakes (lots and lots), but it's wonderfully comfy. And hasn't unravelled. Yet.
And it's also time for Rufus to duel.
Tuesday, October 21, 2008
Thursday, October 16, 2008
2. What drink does Romilda Vane try to give Harry?
3. What is the name of the person who heads the Holyhead Harpies?
b. Gwenog Jones
4. How many ‘Exceeds Expectation’ grades does Harry receive in his O.W.L’s?
5. What is Professor Sughorn’s favorite candy?
d. Crystallized Pineapple
6. What tattoo is Harry reported to have on his chest?
7. What color robes do the staff at the Weasley’s shop wear?
8. What is the man outside Flourish and Blotts selling?
9. How much is the skull, which Hermione enquires about at Borgin and Burkes, worth?
c. 16 Galleons
10. What are Professor Slughorn’s initials?
Thursday, October 9, 2008
Saturday, October 4, 2008
Thursday, October 2, 2008
What yarn shop did Henry Longstaff shop at for yarn? Mrs. Mac's
Who is the HSKS6 SPEW coordinator? Clidiona Acromantula
Which Gryff student just returned from London? Lady Felula The Forgetful
Which Gryffindor has cats named after the muggle rock band, The Ramones? Dagmara G.
Favorite childhood television program? Tom and Jerry (muggle)
(though I enjoyed The Wicked Sisters Silly Twisters)
Favorite cartoon? See above
Last travel destination visited? Walt Disney World
Last FO? Shiny Happy Scarf for Shelly
How many project(s) planned for holiday gifts? Two (or three)
How many expected to actually finish and give? Two
Who is the mother of Half Blood Prince? Eileen Prince
Which Weasley became engaged in HP and HBP? Bill to Fleur Delacoeur
What is the result of a Sectumsempra curse? A cutting curse which causes extensive bleeding
Who used a Bezoar to reverse a poison? Harry saved Ron's life using a bezoar in HBP
Wednesday, September 24, 2008
c. Emmeline Vance
2. What animal does Bellatrix Lestrange kill when she and her sister, Narcissa, are going to see Professor Snape?
3. What time does Professor Dumbledore collect Harry from Privet Drive?
b. 11 p.m.
4. What did Professor Slughorn transform into when he was trying to hide from Harry and Professor Dumbledore?
a. An armchair
5. What grade did Harry get for Herbology?
a. E – Exceeds Expectation
6. Herbert Chorley, the Prime Minister’s Junior Minster, has been entertaining the public by impersonating which animal?
b. A duck
7. What is Professor Sprout’s first name?
8. What is Dumbledore’s idea of ‘a few words’?
d. nitwit, oddment, blubber and tweak
9. Who is Marcus Belby’s famous uncle?
10. What is Snape’s mother’s name?
b. Eileen Prince
Post pictures to your blogs or link to the pictures from your blog post.
**...(or How Gryffindor takes back the cup in term six)
Monday, September 22, 2008
Sunday, September 14, 2008
Beware, there is a student named Rufus ... something (not sure of his last name). I heard he was handing out Canary Creams to first years in the Great Hall. Please be careful - those Canary Creams have sent more than a few students to Madam Pomfrey last term.
Saturday, September 13, 2008
Headmistress Wartbobble asked to have this quiz/questionnaire posted on my blog. Here 'tis!
Potter Name: Millicent Brocklehurst (CentyB!)
Rav ID: knitbot
I am allergic to: milk. (seriously)
Pets that I have: Lilly, a dog.
My favorite yarn: Noro silk garden
If you are a Ravenclaw, do you prefer the film colors or the book colors? Book.
My favorite flavor: Lemon, closely followed by dark chocolate and coffee.
My favorite holiday: Thanksgiving
I would like to receive a: Sock kit
List your favorite brand of needles or hooks, including size and length: Addi Lace turbo Size 1
Is there a brand that you are dying to try?: Nope.
I've participated in HSKS: This is my third term.
Do you have a birthday during this swap? Not this term.
Sunday, September 7, 2008
Sunday, August 24, 2008
Tuesday, July 29, 2008
There's lovely hand-dyed yarns in a bulky and sport weight, three patterns (Firestarter, yay!), a couple of tins of mints, raspberry spoons, a photo album, a notebook, and a lovely Gryffindor colored knitted case. And here, with no further ado, are photos the photos from my spoilee, Madam Ferula McGonagall:
The box, fresh off the owl:
And the box is opened, revealing the treasures:
And here's everything
Friday, July 25, 2008
My Owl, Caractacus, is hoping for a visit from another owl or too while the last one make their rounds with packages (maybe mine, too!).
Wednesday, July 16, 2008
1. When Hagrid returns to Hogwarts after being sent to see the giants with Madame Maxime, Professor Umbridge questions him on his late return to school. She suspects that Hagrid had been to the mountains, but where does he tell her he has been?
d. South of France
2. Professor Umbridge comes to Hagrid's Hut and searches his cabin one evening (as she believes Harry, Ron and Hermione are there visiting him at night when they are not supposed to). When she walks past the place where Harry, Ron and Hermione are hiding under the Invisibility Cloak, Harry holds his breath. True or false?
3. A stately-looking witch in an emerald green shawl is one of the members of the Advance Guard who rescues Harry from Privet Drive. What is her name?
a. Emmeline Vance
4. What is the name of the witch who was killed two weeks after the photo of the original Order of the Phoenix was taken?
b. Marlene McKinnon
5. Which two fifth year Ravenclaw students does Dumbledore choose to be prefects?
d. Anthony Goldstein and Padma Patil
6. Which house was Rose Zeller sorted into?
7. What is the color of Murtlap's essence?
8. Name the Ravenclaw girl who became prefect in Harry's fifth year.
b. Padma Patil
9. According to a healer's portrait at St. Mungo's hospital, which disease was Ron suffering from?
10. Which book did Harry give Hermione for Christmas?
d. "Moste Potente Potions"
Picture Scavenger Hunt
Robert Pattison is Edward in Twilight (Dec 2008)
Gryffindor halls and classes seem quiet as well, with fewer students at Common Room. I'm guessing it's because many were preparing their packages and readied their owls for deliveries. And I suppose some studied for their end of term examinations as well.
Final Quidditch is nearly upon us! Roar Gryffindor!!
Sunday, July 6, 2008
Saturday, July 5, 2008
Still puzzling over our most recent Gryffindor homework, a cryptogram.
e fm dfu, qfet kfxxg ey vjd rjesb, whxg yjd akxjhnk
kem qj qkfa kb akjhnka kb menka faafsu qyfpb ey
f mjmbya "qkby pjxjrb ea! mfqabx gjhqbvw!
Wednesday, July 2, 2008
I'm still taking it slowly, in and out of visits with Madam Pomfrey who has been ably monitoring my progress as my back recovers. Slowly.
Thursday, June 26, 2008
- Who is your favorite member of the Order of the Phoenix?
- Favorite person at Hogwarts?
- Favorite spell or charm to use?
- Best and worst classes at Hogwarts?
- Favorite flower?
- What is your beverage of choice? Coffee, tea, latte, soda/pop?
Double tall latte (not from Charbucks)
- Favorite muggle music?
Ooh. Toughie. Elvis Costello, Beethoven, Coldplay. Pretenders. I could go on and on.
- How many family members do you have?
Me, hubbo, son T, daughter N
- What do you do on your summer vacation? What is your Favorite vacation ever taken?
We usually go to the North Carolina beach (Outer Banks) for a week. Best vaca ever was the family cross country trip taken when I was 11 (camping through 17 states).
- What is your favorite subject at Hogwarts? Why?
Potions. McPotions (sigh)
- How many pairs of shoes (footwear) do you have? Which are your favorite pair?
Less than I used to, more than I need ... do I really need to put down a number? Okay, 8. Dansko whole clogs with the soft woven tops.
- How many projects do you have OTN (on the needles)?
Many - probably 7 or so?
- What is the oldest project you're working on and when did you cast it on?
Salt Peanuts by Veronik Avery. Three years due to being stupified by the shoulder decreases and shawl collar increases.
- Favorite food?
Chocolate chip pecan cookies.
Thursday, June 19, 2008
1. What was I doing 10 years ago?
In 1998, I was working for a rural electric coop association (as opposed to a standard power utility company assn) running an IT help desk, and administering servers as a systems engineer. My DS was just three (and DD not yet a blink/to be born in 2000). I’d been back to school for a few months in a quest to complete my Bachelor’s Degree which I finally completed in 2003.
2. What are 5 things on my to-do list today?
(a) Remember to take my pain meds, my antibiotic, my muscle relaxer and to stay hydrated.
(b) get up for a short walk following yesterday’s surgery.
(c) get gentle smashes from my DS and DD (hugs)
3. Snacks I enjoy...
Nuts (almonds, cashews), brownies (Ghirardelli), bbq and/or kettle cooked potato chips.
4. Things I would do if I were a billionaire...
Buy my parents homes and new cars and take care of related taxes and insurance so they need not worry.
Take regular trips to places and people in the US and abroad in need of assistance (learning new skills, building new infrastructure, etc.)
Take trips to Paris and Europe; Hawaii, Australia and NZ. And maybe git me one of those cutie new Mini Coopers, or a Prius.
5. Places I've lived..
North Haven, CT; Washington, DC; Mattapoisett, MA; Winston-Salem, NC; Alexandria, VA
6. Jobs I've had...
Baby-sitter; play stage manager; college paper editorial page editor; stock broker assistant; 401(k) database creator; waitress; retail worker; HIV/AIDS patient companion; legal assistant; admin to two lobbyists; computer operator; IT help desk manager; system administrator; web hosting/data center customer manager; Internet product developer; policy and process developer/implementor. PTA committee chair.
7. Peeps I want to know more about...
Oh, just everybody - I think all of us have interesting stories to bring and share.
Wednesday, June 18, 2008
And me, well, I'm moving on from St. Mungo's today and magical cures... I'm having some sort of Muggle surgery done on my ailing back. Lucky for me, I'll go, have the surgery with my excellent Muggle surgeon and be back at Hogwarts later today. More on my Muggle blog, if you're interested, here. I'm not sure when I'll be able to post, or send owls for the rest of this week.
UPDATED to post Quidditch assignment
1. At the beginning of the year feast, who is the only person who rudely interrupts Dumbledore during his speech?
a. Professor Snape
b. Professor Umbridge
d. Harry Potter
2. Off what street is the alley where Harry first met Sirius?
a. Diagon Alley
b. Little Whinging
c. Magnolia Crescent
d. Privet Drive
3. Tonks’ mother had two sisters, both pure-bloods, and both left on the Black Family Tree. What are their names?
a. Elladora and Meliflua
b. Bellatrix and Elladora
c. Narcissa and Bellatrix
d. Meliflua and Narcissa
4. What spell are the students studying in McGonagall’s class when Umbridge is doing her inspection?
a. The Acquiring Spell
b. The Shrinking Spell
c. The Demolishing Spell
d. The Vanishing Spell
5. Who comes to warn Harry and the rest of Dumbledore’s Army that Umbridge and her group of followers are coming to break up their meeting?
6. Who are the members of the Order that met Harry Potter in the Dursley’s house during the summer before his fifth year?
a. Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Alastor Moody, Sturgis Podmore, Dedalus Diggle, Hestia Jones, Elphias Doge, Nymphadora Tonks, Mundungus Fletcher
b. Alastor Moody, Albus Dumbledore, Remus Lupin, Sirius Black, Nymphadora Tonks, Dedalus Diggle, Sturgis Podmore, Emmeline Vance c. Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Remus Lupin, Emmeline Vance, Sturgis Podmore, Hestia Jones
d. Remus Lupin, Alastor Moody, Nymphadora Tonks, Sirius Black, Kingsley Shacklebolt, Elphias Doge, Dedalus Diggle, Sturgis Podmore, Hestia Jones
7. Moody used the Disillusionment Charm on Harry.
8. Which of these Death Eaters is Sirius related to?
a. Lucius Malfoy
b. Bellatrix Lestrange
c. Regulus Black
d. All of these
9. At what age did Sirius leave his home?
Answer: Age 8
10. How many of the original Order members were killed (don’t include those who disappeared)?
Wednesday, June 11, 2008
In other Hogwarts news: I am making progress on my Swap kit for my spoilee. Hoping to be done with that shortly. A winner was selected for the latest Gryffindor house quiz (!) and we're working on the next one already.
Gryffindors: Hope to see you all in Common Room on Thursday at 5pET
Wednesday, June 4, 2008
1. onihexp = phoenix
2. nro = Ron
3. mayr = Army
4. seelway = Weasley (is our King!)
5. hrigda = Hagrid
6. ifdynrrgof = Gryffindor (Roar!!)
7. dawn = wand
8. oshawrgt = Hogwarts
9. busnim = nimbus (alas, mine is the older 1800 model)
10. bdulodeerm = Dumbledore (Albus Brian Percival)
11. bydob = Dobby
12. bugmrdie = Umbridge (decree 23)
13. emionehr = Hermione
14. rhayr = Harry
15. arkreech = Kreacher
16. riissu = Sirius
17. dootvlemr = Voldemort
18. ptrote = Potter
19. hwgedi = Hedwig
20. ebtahlkclso = Shacklebolt (he also has style!)
Wednesday, May 28, 2008
1. Which of Arabella Figg's cats ran out from under the car?
a. Mister Tibbles
2. Which of the following is NOT one of Albus Dumbledore's middle names?
3. Which educational decree introduced a High Inquisitor to Hogwarts?
4. Apart from Harry, Ron and Hermione, who was the first person to enter the Hog's Head that showed an interest in Harry's Defence Against the Dark Arts classes?
b. Neville Longbottom
5. In the first Quidditch match of the year which player attempted to score first?
c. Angelica Johnson
6. What kind of bush does Harry hide behind to listen to the news?
b. A hydrangea bush
7. Why is Mundungus Fletcher disguised as a woman when he witnesses the DA (Dumbledore's Army) meeting in the Hog's Head pub?
b. He was banned from the Hog’s Head pub 20 years ago.
8. When Harry and Cho go on their first date to Madam Puddifoot's in Hogsmeade, what is it decorated with for Valentine's Day?
c. Golden cherubs and pink confetti
9. How old is Sturgis Podmore and where does he live?
a. 38 and number 2
10. What did Fred and George Weasley do to Montague?
a. Forced him head-first into a Vanishing Cabinet on the first floor.
Picture Scavenger Hunt
Fred and George Weasley (Together)
Mr. Weasley & Harry (Together)
Thursday, May 22, 2008
Head into the Common Room on Monday night at 9pET/6pPT.
Sunday, May 18, 2008
Gryffindor house is a bit quieter than usual, and I assume that's due to student focus on classes. We'll be having a meeting in our common room on Monday at 9p ET, and another later in the week, but earlier in the day to accomodate time zones (perhaps Weds., at 5pm?) Off to review this week's lessons. And to get those feathers out of the hall. I didn't mean to leave those behind.
Wednesday, May 14, 2008
Monday, May 12, 2008
Please join us in the Gryffindor common room, on Wednesday night (just two days time!) for our first get together. Please contact Miss Morgana Black, our Prefect, or me if you need the password. It is no longer 'Balderdash'. I'm still looking for votes on when we should have our weekly Common Room meeting - there are 24 of us, and only 8 votes posted!
And students should note that it is less than dignified to intentionally obtain a detention with our new (cough, yummy, cough) Defence Against the Dark Arts professor. Remember what happened last term.
Sunday, May 11, 2008
Saturday, May 10, 2008
Saturday, April 26, 2008
Thursday, March 27, 2008
Wednesday, March 19, 2008
Here's the last assignment.
1. Who loves containers of all sorts?
2. Who dyed her fingers blue?
3. Who is related to William Shakespeare?
4. Who wants to own an alpaca farm?
5. Who hates carrots?
6. Who is from the Muggle town of Bagshot in Surrey?
7. Who was searching for radishes in the winter?
Madam Ferula McGonagall
8. Who got a gift certificate to a LYS from a Slytherin boy for Valentine's Day?
9. Who discovered ghosts and house elves drinking tea in the Great Hall at midnight?
10. Who took an extra credit class called Muggle Fantasy Literature?
11. Who attended a Muggle music convention?
12. Who taught herself to purl backwards?
13. Who sports Ravenclaw Spirit socks?
14. Who would like to work in Muggle Relations after graduation?
15. Whose Mum is named Henrietta?
Wednesday, March 12, 2008
1. When Rita Skeeter prints a bad articles about Hagrid in the Daily Prophet, which Professor teaches Hagrid's Care of Magical Creatures class while he is away?
c. Professor Grubbly-Plank
2. What was the article Rita Skeeter wrote about Hagrid called?
c. Dumbledore's Giant Mistake
3. When the school champions were being chosen from the Goblet of Fire, whose name came out first?
c. Cedric Diggory
4. What is the spell Ludo Bagman says to magically magnify his voice when he commentates?
5. What kind of dragon did Cedric have to face in the first task?
b. A Swedish Short-Snout
6. Who raised the trophy after winning the world cup?
b. Troy and Quigley
7. How many bedrooms did Mundungus Fletcher claim to have?
8. For what did Moody mistake his birthday gift of a carriage clock?
b. A basilisk egg
9. What did Mr. Ollivander produce for the end of Cedric's wand?
a. A bunch of flowers
10. The dark mark is on Snape's left arm.
Picture Scavenger Hunt
Tuesday, March 11, 2008
Tuesday, March 4, 2008
1. Do my homework for me. Scolare totalis
(Muggle spouse's suggestion: "Here's ten bucks.")
2. Tidy up my bedroom. Domicilis Lavere
3. Make a delicious chocolate cake. Concoctus Deliciosa
4. Make my professor stay in bed today. Preceptor somnalis
5. I would like breakfast in bed, please. Desirchambere Mcgriddle
6. Stick all my Quidditch opponents' feet to the floor. Alto Quiddicio
7. Give everyone the giggles. Teeheesteria
8. Dye some yarn in my favorite color. Coloris favere
9. Unravel the mess I've made with my yarn. Detruculo!
10. Knit my Prefect the perfect bag! Artifexis perfecto
Sunday, March 2, 2008
Monday, February 25, 2008
1. What colorless and odorless potion forces the drinker to tell the truth?
2. If the spell to Apparate goes wrong and leaves half of you behind, you have been what?
3. Who wrote the Standard Books of Spells Grades 1 and 2?
4. What is it called when brother wands meet?
Priori Incantatem or Reverse Spell Effect
5. Name the charm used by Ludo at the World Cup to amplify his voice.
6. For what is the charm Aparecium used?
Makes Invisible Ink visible again
7. What charm requires the use of a Secret-Keeper?
8. What color should the Strengthening Potion be?
9. What plants are used in preparing a confusing potion?
Scurvy-grass, Lovage, Sneezewort
10. What condition is cured by Glumbumble?
Some forms of hysteria
11. What potion makes a werewolf safe so he can keep his mind when he transforms, and what substance makes it useless?
Wolfsbane Potion. Sugar renders it useless.
12. When does Fluxwood, an ingredient used in making Polyjuice Potion, have to be picked?
Must be picked at full moon.
13. What color should a Shrinking Solution be?
14. What potion is made from asphodel and wormwood?
15. For what are Jobberknoll feathers used?
Used in memory potions and truth serums.
Friday, February 22, 2008
I've finished my Enchanted Sock Kit, and spent time grading assignments from 3rd year Transfiguration students. I'm hoping for a bit of snow - not just other forms of wet precipitation that freezes and is a nuisance.
Monday, February 18, 2008
1. With whom does Ginny go to the Yule Ball?
2. When Harry arrives at the Burrow and Mrs. Weasley makes them all dinner the night before they leave for the Quidditch World Cup, what does her wand turn into?
b. rubber chicken
3. Since some of the sixth-year girls didn't have any quills on them, what did they think Krum might sign their hats in?
4. How old does the Quick Quotes Quill say that Rita Skeeter is?
5. What color cloak is wormtail wearing in the Riddle house?
6. What color is "Mad Eye" Moody's magical eye?
7. What color are the robes that Rita Skeeter was wearing when Harry meets her at the Weighing of the Wands ceremony?
8. What does Sirius Black tell Harry, Ron and Hermione to call him when speaking around anyone else?
9. Which team beat Wales, disqualifying them from competing for the Quidditch World Cup?
10. What does Madame Maxime say is the only thing her steeds will drink?
c. single-malt whiskey
Goblet of Fire
Dragon from first challenge
Madam Poppy Pomfrey
Tuesday, February 12, 2008
2. Who is the librarian of Hogwarts? Madam Irma Pince
3. What is Madam Rosmerta's job? Landlady, Three Broomsticks Pub
4. What is Rita Skeeter's secret? She's an unregistered Animagus
5. Madam Hooch is instructor of what subject? Flying and Quidditch coach
6. Who is Parvati Patil's best friend? Lavender Brown
7. What Quidditch position does Cho Chang play? Seeker (ravenclaw!)
8. What is the name of Fleur Delacour's little sister? Gabrielle
9. Who is professor of Divination? Sybill Trelawney
10. Who wrote "A History of Magic"? Bathilda Bagshot
Sunday, February 10, 2008
I spent a most delightful visit to Hogsmeade.
It looks as if all the Hogwarts students were able to make it, and some of the professors as well. I managed to get a bit of shopping done at Dervish and Banges for a Remberall. And some sweets from Honeydukes (it was packed with students when I stopped in), and new dress robes from Gladrags Wizardwear.
Now, if I could only remember what happened at The Three Broomsticks after that last red currant rum... or was it a firewhiskey? And was that Professor Black at the bar? I must check with Mrs Kwikspell, Misses Beanswallow, Starfire (Selina) and Kettleburn (all of Ravenclaw, I must note) who were at the Broomsticks as well.
What would Mr. Brocklehurst think?!
Friday, February 8, 2008
Saturday, February 2, 2008
Wednesday, January 30, 2008
b. Voldemort and Wormtail plotting to kill him
2. What is the problem with leprechaun gold?
a. It vanishes after a few hours
3. Why did Mad-Eye Moody turn Malfoy into a ferret?
c. Malfoy attached Harry when Harry's back was turned
4. Sirius warns Harry to be careful around Karkaroff because he had been a Death Eater. Which one of the professors at Hogwarts, who also used to be a Death Eater, is frequently bothered by Karkaroff? Snape
5. Voldemort could have used the blood from any foe to make the potion that revived him work, but he held out for Harry's blood. Why?
c. The special protection Harry received from his mother would also pass to Voldemort
6. How old would Frank have been on his next birthday?
7. Amos Diggory works for?
b. The Department for the Regulation and Control of Magical Creatures
8. Who shared a carriage with the three friends on the way from the train to Hogwarts?
9. What date in October did the delegates from Beauxbatons and Durmstrang arrive?
10. What color were Percy's dress robes at the Yule Ball?
a. Navy Blue
Mr. Ollivander: Link
Mad-Eye Moody: Link
World Cup Tournament: Link
Dark Mark: Link
Hopefully this is all correct. Apparently the Muggle Flu has taken over, and I've been fortunate to get this done and posted. Now, back to bed.
Thursday, January 24, 2008
Tuesday, January 22, 2008
1. TriWizard Tournament
2. Hungarian Horntail
3. Mad Eye Mooney (Moody??)
4. Rita Skeeter
Monday, January 21, 2008
Thursday, January 17, 2008
Monday, January 14, 2008
1. Name 4 housemates who have revealed their Patronuses and list the form their Patronuses take.
Fleur Lovegoods (Phoenix), Cassandra Hopkirk (Eagle), Fleur Crockford (Hydra), Minerva Kwikspell (Eagle), Lavender Ackerly (Tiger)
2. Who attended the first meeting of the Ravenclaw Knitting Club?
Elanor Cadogan, Gabriella Clearwater, Fleur Lovegoods, Esmerelda Beanswallow, Cassandra Hopkirk, Millicent Brocklehurst, Minerva Kwikspell, Enid Black, Allitrya Spelling, Mafalda Ackerley, Serafina Starfire
3. Name the housemate who likes to knit with peacock feathers.
4. Name the Ravenclaw who spent the New Year at Hogwart's Costume Ball.
5. Which Ravenclaw got the first howler?
6. Name 5 different types of wood used in the wands of Ravenclaws and name the housemate having that wand.
Hawthorn/Elanor Cadigan; Holly/Minerva Kwikspell; walnut/Gabriella Clearwater; Birch (also Ebony)/Perpetua Phoenixfire; cherry/Avada Finch Fletchley
7. Who accidentally ate a toenail flavored Every Flavor Bean?
8. Who cast a noise dampening spell before going to bed and then overslept?
9. Besides the HSKS4 blog, on what blog will you find the Ravenclaw Anthem?
Selina Starfire -(only part of it, Ms. Kwikspell has the entire verse)
10. Which housemate has a Muggle cellular phone?
Today was my first Transfiguration class, and I'm hoping a couple of students, who shall remain nameless, in one case improve their ability, and in the other, improve their attitude.
Wednesday, January 9, 2008
I note here that I'm now part of a Ravenclaw knitting group and there's some activities planned, with other houses. I even have a mystery person with whom I'm to swap fiber goodness. How wonderful! Time, perhaps, to work a confundo charm? Accio needles!
Thursday, January 3, 2008
2lb ground chuck
1 cup red wine, divided
3-4 stalks celery, chopped thinnish on the diagonal
1 small/medium onion (omitted for father in law) medium chop
1-2 cloves garlic (also omitted for FIL) smashed or diced
1 small can tomato paste
1 jar (16 oz?) store bought tomato sauce (preferably organic)
1 med/lg can crushed tomatoes
Fresh basil, thyme if available
Use a medium to large saucepan (3-6 qts). Sautee the onions, celery and garlic in a bit of olive oil until tender. Remove from pan and set aside. Sautee the beef in the same pan, in 1/2 cup of red wine, breaking up the beef into smaller bits. Drain the beef when cooked, place the sauteed veggies, tomato paste, crushed tomatoes, and tomato sauce in the pot. Stir together and let simmer on low for (at least) 20 mins (no lid). Add remaining wine and herbs, simmer another 20 mins or longer, if desired. You can fudge the amounts of solids to tomato products, depending if you like your sauce chunkier rather than saucier (I'm a saucy girl, and like the sauce chunky).
Serve hot, with grated parmesan to pass, along with 1-2 lbs cooked pasta. Recipe may be halved, or you can freeze half if there is too much for one meal :)
Post prandial parental rant: My two children, one a second year at Hogwarts (Ravenclaw, of course!) and my other child is at a Muggle school in second grade. Despite their gap in ages, it seems they find much to quibble about (almost a 1/2 hour straight of bickering over the top of some Nickolodeon program). So off went the television and everyone is upstairs in their respective rooms. Blissful quiet for blogging.